Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Balance that crayfish!

FOCUS QUESTION
How can I balance this paper crayfish on my finger while using paper clips?
 
PREDICTION/ HYPOTHESIS*
I predict if I put my finger on the tip of his nose and the paper clips equally on each side, then I can balance him on my finger!
 
PLANNING   
List the materials: 
paper crayfish
paper clips
clothes pins

Think of and test different places you think you will be able to balance the crayfish on just one finger. Consider the places you put your finger. Why would that work or not work? How could use use some of the ways you balance in everyday life like a bike, putting on clothes or seesaw?

 
 DATA*
I used no clips, one clip, two clips and three clips to balance the crayfish on my finger. I was also able to hold it horizontally and vertically!
 
CLAIMS AND EVIDENCE*
When I placed my finger in specific points nad kept the clips spaced evenly, I was able to balance the crayfish very well. The clips acted as counterweights and helped keep it stable.
 
CONCLUSION/REFLECTION*
You can balance things in science like you can in real life when you use counterweights to stabilize. I did this with the crayfish and the paper clips.
 
**QUESTIONS:  What other things can I balance on my finger using counterwights? How does the shape and weight of the crayfish affect how I can balance it?

No comments:

Post a Comment